Two quick notes to pass along before we get to the games and a standings update:
- 1B Brandon Wagner made an appearance in today’s Monday Morning Ten Pack (subs. req’d). “Because (his swing) is so quick and efficient, he can wait until balls are deep in the zone before he makes a decision. It’s fun to watch … His swing is in good shape and he should hit as he continues to move up the minor-league ladder. The real question is whether he’ll be able to move off first or hit for enough power to stick at the cold corner,” said the write-up.
- RHP Juan De Paula was named the Short Season NY-Penn League Pitcher of the Week. He came over in the Ben Gamel trade last year. De Paula allowed one hit and one walk in seven scoreless innings in last week’s start. He struck out seven. So far this year the 19-year-old De Paula has a 3.06 ERA (3.24 FIP) in 47 innings with Staten Island.
Triple-A Scranton (4-3 win over Rochester) they are 70-47 and have a 6.5 game lead in the North Division … their magic number to clinch a postseason spot is four, and their magic number to clinch the division is seven
- LF Jake Cave: 1-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 3 K, 1 E (throwing)
- 2B Starlin Castro: 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI — played seven innings at second base as scheduled
- 1B Greg Bird: 2-3, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 BB — he played the entire game as scheduled … here’s video of the single and double (the double probably should’ve been caught) … pretty much a vintage Greg Bird minor league game right there … he’s now 8-for-17 (.471) with two doubles and two homers in five rehab games
- 3B Miguel Andujar: 2-4, 1 BB, 1 E (throwing) — 12-for-27 (.444) during his seven-game hitting streak
- RF Billy McKinney: 3-5, 1 RBI, 1 K — had been in a 3-for-21 (.143) rut
- CF Mason Williams: 0-4, 1 BB
- RHP Chance Adams: 5.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 4/5 GB/FB — 61 of 101 pitches were strikes (60%) … he’s up to 138.2 innings this year after throwing 127.1 innings last year
- RHP J.P. Feyereisen: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K — half of his 22 pitches were strikes
- RHP Nick Rumbelow: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K — eleven of 18 pitches were strikes (61%)